Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Whisky Galore!

England's enjoying yet another moral panic. Today we are dreadful looters.

Personally I don't see why scavenging the beach to salvage goodies from a shipwreck is bad at all.

My eyes were green as folk helped themselves to BMW motor bikes (which otherwise would be ruined anyway).

What worried me was those who walked away with disposable nappies. (Young children must be bad for the brain!).

Of course, the outraged are wealthy thieves who cannot understand petty theft.

Addendum.

Underling Mark Rodaway twittered, "I personally witnessed young children sitting unattended in gale force conditions, with the sea crashing, as their parents blatantly looted things out of containers," (up 'till now those crazy parents have lost no children, unlike that unseaworthy boat that pollutes our seas and lands).

'rescue authorities condemned the "crass greed" of hundreds of people who came to see what they could find.'

I take it that the rescue authorities have no idea what the word crass means.

I believe salvaging to be sensible greed.

5 Comments:

Blogger The Fool said...

Keep the nappies...give me the BMW! Wet or not...whatever. There's always room for one more motorcycle. I had a 1941 BSA I rode for a spell.

Perhaps this is as close as we'll ever get to a redistribution of wealth.

Crass? Try asking an American to define that one. They'll be stymied grasping for the words, but they'll give a good example.

C'mon, ask me.

I wonder what god thinks?

Is there a link? I get the picture...but...

January 24, 2007  
Blogger Snafu said...

I'm not convinced that I would want to buy BMW steering wheel airbags off eBay though!

January 24, 2007  
Blogger Etzel Pangloss said...

A BSA was the first bike I rode (a friends' not mine).

Snafu, agreed but I bet people do!

January 26, 2007  
Blogger Etzel Pangloss said...

Fool, I bet you only rode ths BSA for a while because it kept breaking down!

January 26, 2007  
Blogger The Fool said...

This was a one-lunger,WWII model - retard & advance days. The tank was teardrop on one-side, cut flat on the other. I was told it was cut that way to accomodate the rider's pistol

I traded a '38 Ford for it (at one time I was crazy about antique transportaion - I got better). I rode the BS'r for a few years (short town rides).

Eventually, the rear tire locked up on me at about 50-60 mph coming down a good grade. Damn near bought it on that one. I sold the bitch. I'm not very forgiving.

I also had a '51 XK120 for 10 years. The roads up here are perfect rally roads...it was right at home. That machine was a dream. DOHC six, dual-SU's...all held together by a Moss military gearbox. It was the only thing that could handle the rpm's at the time.

I like your "toys" over there in England. ;)

January 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home