Tuesday, October 03, 2006

From butchers' apron to ...

I've studied power all of my life; my parents introduced me to it.

When I was young, the British Empire had become a joke. It was something that old people clung to, an idea, an ideal that was over. Furthermore, it was seemingly considered by most to have been a travesty, a cruel imperialistic hatred of humanity. We had been the scoundrelous nasties from overseas.

Without going further into my thoughts regarding the above, may I argue that our two wars against tyrany and despotism, (both completely against the national interest, but in the national psyche) plus other redeemable features, meant that Britain/England had, in many peoples' eyes become a mature and considerate nation/state...

So the fact that we have become a lackey of the New Roman 'Republic', is about as bad as it feels today...

2 Comments:

Blogger Guthrum said...

Well hopefully for not too much longer, most people in this country were disgusted by the 'yo Blair' incident which articulated the supine role British PM's have adopted for years, and the Republicans are having their 'family values' moment with Foley, and are going into meltdown. Like Death and Taxes, all Empires including the American one eventually collapse.

October 04, 2006  
Blogger Etzel Pangloss said...

I agree Gavin, with a bit of luck and foresight the globe of been in a very different polity today

October 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home